Atherton

The privacy gained by lots of at least one acre, winding streets with mature trees, gracious mansions set well back from the curbless streets — this is Atherton today.

Once part of a Spanish rancho, the town was incorporated in 1923. One of its first rules was to assure that lots would not be¬†subdivided into parcels smaller than an acre.¬†With a few exceptions — primarily former San Mateo County streets acquired through annexation — that is still the rule today.

A few of the early homes remain, including three built by Timothy Hopkins for his daughters between 1901 and 1908 on Parkwood Drive, Altree Court and Lowery Drive.

Areas

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Community Links

Important Phone Numbers

  • Police Non-emergency: 650-688-6500
  • Fire Non-emergency: 650-688-8400
  • Building/Planning: 650-688-6521
  • Caltrain: 650-660-4287
  • City Office: 650-325-4457
  • Library: 650-328-2422
  • Post Office: 650-275-8777
  • Voter Registration: 650-345-8683